Saturday, September 8, 2007

Comfortably Numb

Holy shirt. Damn. I'm tired of this being sick stuff already. I went back to the doc last Tuesday & he didn't want to put me on any more antibiotics because he felt any more would lower my body's ability to resist infection. So he sends me over for blood work, calls me the next day & says I've got a serious infection & prescribes me a different antibiotic.

Okay, no problemo. Finally, I can start to feel better. That is except until last night - I got up at 3am with 103 fever. So, I medicate, get the fever down & slept from 7am until 10am. I wake up delirious & medicate again. Then I lounge around until the Michigan game starts. Right when it started my temp was 102.6. So, at 3:30 pm I medicate again & sit back & observe the ass-whoopin' the Ducks put on the Wolverines. By the second quarter, my fever had jumped to 104.7. I'm weak, achy sore, but mostly numb & it became difficult to breath without pain on my right side. My breaths were weak & shallow & my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. I tell you, it's like another world when your fever gets beyond a certain point. Comfortably numb is about the best I can describe it.

Jill freaked, she calls the doc & they said to take me in to emergency. I get there at 5:00 pm & my fever had started to come down (103.3). They gave me an IV with saline & a massive antibiotic, ran more blood tests & xray'd my chest. I had a nice plasma TV with a remote in my room in the ER & the doctor & I watched the last half of the 3rd quarter till the last 7 minutes of the Michigan game - discussing my medical issues between plays and during commercials. Gotta love a doc like that. He asked me if Michigan had ever scored 31 points in a quarter. I told him yes, at Minnesota three years ago. We both knew it wasn't going to happen today, tho.

Anyway, the doc said my x-ray was normal & the blood count was 9,000 compared to 17,000 earlier in the week. That's wierd, I didn't have this bad of a fever back when it was higher. He went on to recommended that I stay the night. I thought about it but decided against it because what, exactly were they going to do, anyway? I was already feeling better by then & the doc recommended that if I didn't stay, I should come back tomorrow for another massive antibiotic treatment via IV again. So, I'll be back in there at noonish tomorrow.

My temp right this second is 103.1. Crazy, huh? I felt so good by the time I left the hospital. Now I'm wondering if I should've stayed. I just took more Tylenol & Motrin to reduce the fever. It seems like I've been living on that stuff lately. The nurse at the hospital freaked when I told her how much & how often I take it to control the fever. If I don't take Tylenol or Motrin, what am I to do? Soak in a cold bath?

Ok. Nevermind.

No comments: