Friday, September 21, 2007

Battle Creek Chess

I managed to talk my family in going with me to the chess club at Barnes & Noble in Battle Creek yesterday afternoon. My mission had 3 objectives:
1. Spend time with family.
2. Recruit some players that may want to play in Marshall on Sunday afternoons.
3. Get a game of chess in.
All three objectives were successfully met. I actually played 3 games - one with Nathanael & two with Jim. Jim's a very good player & he is better than I am (who's not these days?). I managed to win the 2nd game by winning a bishop & trapping his queen. I think it was just luck. I hung a pawn & he grabbed it, allowing me to develop with tempo & eventually his queen got trapped on the kingside of the board. It was difficult enough to win when I was playing all the time so, winning one was unlikely.

I got to watch Christian play against Larry. Larry's such a good sport - tolerating my 3 year old's way of playing. They split, by the way. :) 6yo Nathan also played Larry & he lost one & drew one.

No comments: